Google+

I am Lucille Ball Book Review

Disclosure: Penguin Kids gave me a copy of these books & promotional items free of charge for this review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation.  As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

Today I get to share with you a book that brings back many childhood memories for me and Steve. We grew up watching the I Love Lucy Show. Did you? Penguin Kids sent us the book, I am Lucille Ball, by Brad Meltzer and illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos. It is the newest addition of the Ordinary People Change the World series. It was released July 14, 2015.


http://www.penguin.com/book/i-am-lucille-ball-by-brad-meltzer-illustrated-by-christopher-eliopoulos/9780525428558

 This book is written in a style of a regular prose book, but then has cartoon like illustrations with comic bubbles. Throughout the book the reader gets a sense of Lucille Ball and her sense of humor. The story focuses on her childhood and pre-stardom, but does go into when and how she became a star. It is written in first person as if Lucy is telling her own life story. 

http://ordinarypeoplechangetheworld.com/lucille_ball.php
Sample Pages of Book Source: Ordinary People Change the World
 This book is full of fun facts about Lucille Ball. Did you know she won the first Emmy Award for Best Comedienne? Throughout her life she was trying to entertain and had a wonderful sense of humor. Of course in school she was getting in trouble and her mother complained that she did not act like a proper lady. Can you imagine Lucille Ball acting like a proper lady? 

I Love Lucy 1955
I Love Lucy 1955 By CBS Television In the 1950s and 1960s, it was not unusual for television networks, studios and program sponsors to use either advertising or publicity agencies to distribute publicity materials. In this case, CBS used the Bureau of Industrial Service, which was a division of advertising agency Young & Rubicam, to distribute the information. (eBay itemphoto frontphoto back) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
We enjoyed reading this book and I enjoyed telling Hazel about a television show both Steve and I grew up watching. It is amazing to think about how television has changed! It was a big deal in when the show aired to have the bedroom as a scene. They used twin beds in the master bedroom to try to ease this onto mainstream television. It was fun to share with Hazel the story of someone who made the world brighter by making the world laugh and not take life so seriously. I hope you will take time to check it out and be entertained by memories or by Lucille Ball's humor for the first time.